Miss Mioux has been diggin’ on yogurt-based salad dressings lately, Bolthouse Farm’s Ceasar specifically. These yogurt-based salad dressings pack a lot a flavor and save big time on calories, I love it! This honey mustard yogurt-based dressing is only 34 calories per tablespoon. You can burn that off by walking for 6 minutes. That is less time that it takes to carry in groceries from the car.
Now you know how sometimes you go to the store, and it’s Sunday morning, and it’s just slammed? Not even the cute firefighters, who also grocery shop early Sunday morning, make you want to hang around longer than necessary, or so Miss Mioux tells me. Anyhow, Miss Mioux needs more caesar, and she isn’t interested in firefighters in this crowd on this particular morning, so she is in and out. Mission accomplished. At home, she unpacks and finds she still needs ceasar salad dressing because in her haste she grabbed honey mustard. She almost went back to exchange it, but the firefighters would be gone and the store would still be crazy busy. Not worth the mileage. She does not want it on her lunchtime salads so we gotta do something with it.
We came up with this recipe below because it allowed us to feel like we were eating something indulgent, something creamy. Who doesn’t like sauce? And hello…bacon! With the yogurt-based dressing rather than heavy cream for the sauce it allows us to stay well within our healthy lifestyle goals. And this dinner will show you how to turn a bottle into a killer pan sauce.
PRO-TIP: When I was a crazy couponer, I would use free salad dressing as a chicken breast marinade often. Italian salad dressing is a great marinade to add a little more moisture and flavor to chicken breast. And if you purchase your meat in bulk you can add it to your freezer bag with the raw chicken before you put it in the freezer.
ONE-POT PAPRIKA DUSTED CHICKEN WITH BACON IN A HONEY MUSTARD YOGURT SAUCE
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 slices of bacon
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 tbsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 bottle of Bolthouse Honey Mustard Yogurt dressing
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms, sliced (about 10 mushrooms)
- Heat a large skillet on medium and cook bacon until it starts to brown.
- While bacon is cooking, in a small bowl, mix the paprika, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- When bacon is browned, remove and set aside, leaving bacon fat in skillet. Add chopped onion to the skillet and cook in bacon fat until soft. Set aside onion with bacon.
- Rub paprika-mustard mix into sides of chicken breast and place in skillet. We had a little bacon fat left in the skillet. If your skillet is dry, add a tablespoon of olive oil. Cook each side 1-2 minutes to get a nice sear on the chicken. It will not be cooked all the way the way through.
- Add the bacon and onion back to the skillet, along with the chicken broth, bottle of dressing, and mushrooms. Stir to combine, lower heat to a simmer, and cover for 10 minutes.
- Uncover skillet and simmer another 10 minutes to let the sauce reduce. Go ahead an taste it though, it’s delicious! Chicken will be cooked through and no longer pink in the center. Serve with side of choice and drizzle sauce on everything.
I get my chicken from a company called Zaycon. They are a farm to table company that delivers to your town at prices that beat the grocery store big time. You purchase in bulk and items available are based on the schedule for your area. They are nation-wide. I have often split orders with family or friends because 40lbs of chicken can be a lot for a three person household that includes a child that doesn’t eat much. To check if they are in your area, create an account here. You can also sign up for emails to be made aware of future events in your area. Over time I have ordered:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Pork Tenderloins
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 90/10 Ground Turkey
- and waiting for delivery now…Premium Skirt Steaks
Miss Mioux has ordered:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Polish Kielbasa Sausages
- Bacon Wrapped Pork Loins
- Italian Mozzarella Chicken Sausages